With The Seasons: Should Your Skincare Routine Change?
Throughout the year, you likely swap out your wardrobe, home decor, and even the produce in your refrigerator to fit the changing seasons. But, as the seasons shift over the months, should you also alter your skincare routine?
The Argument For Changing Your Skincare Routine With The Seasons
While we don’t experience drastic weather changes throughout the seasons here in Florida, there are some noticeable shifts. We mainly experience a hot, humid summer and a winter with lower temperatures and less humidity.
Overhauling your skincare routine for every season is unnecessary. But, making small changes to your regimen can help you manage excess oil in the summer and dryness in the winter.
How To Adjust Your Skincare For The Seasons
To adjust your skincare routine for summer, we recommend:
- Using a gel or foam cleanser to help tackle excess oil
- Using a gentle exfoliant just once or twice per week (exfoliation significantly increases your skin’s sensitivity to sun exposure)
- Using light moisturizers and serums to keep oil in check and prevent shiny skin
To adapt your skincare regimen for winter, we suggest:
- Using a cream-based cleanser to avoid disrupting your skin’s moisture barrier
- Using a gentle exfoliant once to three times per week to slough off dead skin cells (making sure to hydrate afterward!)
- Opting for thicker, creamier moisturizers and richer serums to keep your skin soft amid the drier winter air (ingredients including hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and vitamin E are all great choices)
No matter what time of year it is, make sure to apply sunscreen every day. There’s a misconception that you only need to wear sunscreen in the summer. But, even on cloudy, overcast winter days, the sun’s harsh rays reach your skin and can cause damage. So, no matter the season, make sure to reach for the sunscreen during your morning skincare routine.
For professional guidance on your skincare routine year-round, reach out to Amaris’ Aesthetics today.